- Everyone loves an inviting home including burglars. Make sure it looks occupied and is difficult to break in.
- Always lock outside doors and windows even if you're gone only a short time.
- Leave lights on when you leave. Consider timers to automatically control the lights.
- Keep your garage door closed even when you’re home; don’t tempt thieves with what you have in your garage.
- Suspend your mail and newspaper delivery when you're out of town or get a neighbor to pick it up for you.
- Posting that you're out of town or away from home on social networks is like advertising your home is unprotected.
- Equally dangerous could be allowing certain social network sites to track your location.
- Don't leave keys under doormats, in flowerpots or the plastic rocks; thieves know about those hiding places and even more than you can think.
- Trim the shrubs from around your home; don’t give criminals a place to hide.
Monday, May 28, 2012
Home is a place you should feel safe and secure. Sometimes, we take it for granted and unfortunately, we do need to remain vigilant about things we do that could compromise our well-being. Here are a few tips you might want to consider.